Wednesday 20 July 2011

Finished Object - Blue Sorbetto Top

I too have jumped on the Sorbetto top bandwagon from Colette Patterns, which is available here. It is perhaps a little too short to wear with trousers, but the length works well with skirts, and I was working with very little fabric.



This is actually the second time that I have sewn a top from this pattern, and while I'm still undecided about whether I like the first version or not, I like this version very much. I think that the top is an excellent basic and many pattern companies have patterns for similar tops, the advantage that the Sorbetto has is that it has very generously been offered for free since Grosgrain's free pattern month. It is also very easy and very fast to make so it's great for beginners.


This top used barely over half a metre of fabric, and I used scraps to make the bias binding. The piece of fabric I used was itself a scrap from a dress that I have recently made. I bought the fabric on a recent trip to Walthamstow Market for £1 or £2 per metre, so this was a very cheap top to make. 

Overall, I can strongly recommend making this top to sewers of all abilities.

2 comments:

  1. So lovely! I've seen a few versions that I thought were boxy or too high necked. Not yours! I really love the deep blue on you. So cute with the yellow skirt. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Walthamstow market! That fabric looks luxurious - I can't believe it was so cheap. This is a really lovely version of the top. I'm about to make my second one.

    ReplyDelete