Saturday 23 July 2011

Finished Object - Burda Style 02-2011-101 in Blue

I am really pleased with how this dress from the February Burda Style came out. It was made with the same fabric as the Blue Sorbetto, which I think is lovely and I wish I had bought more.


The bodice is from Burda Style 02-2011-101 and the skirt is a simple circle skirt from 'The Party Dress Book' so I had less bulk at the waist and more fullness at the hem. It went together really quickly and it was all done in a few hours. 



I reviewed the February Burda Style here and said that I hoped that it would fit better than the similar vintage patterns that I had tried making, and I really like how this fits. I was really worried as I was making it that it was going to be too small, and I nearly put it aside, so I am so glad I didn't.



Looking at the Burdastyle Finished Projects I can see that this is a really popular dress and it is universally flattering, and I think this is down to the grown on cap sleeves which gives a lovely hourglass shape. You can see even more versions of this dress on 'The Sew Weekly' and the 'One Dress, Seven Bloggers' sewalong.



I am on holiday in Montreal right now and it is boiling hot, so if I could change one thing about this dress I would have self lined it as the fabric is cotton and could have been a lot cooler than the rather cheap lining that I used. I went to a bookshop today and found something rather exciting, so I'll post on that soon.


I think everyone should make this dress and thanks to Burdastyle everyone can get hold of the pattern here.

3 comments:

  1. Love it, I just finished a version of this dress (which I haven't got photos of yet!) but I made a plain gathered skirt but I think a circle skirt would work so much better for exactly the reasons you mention, there's a lot of bulk at the waist but its not quite as twirly as I would like. Maybe my next version! I love the sleeves as they feel a little more grown up and dressy than a simple vest/tank-top but not too OTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is lovely on you. I like your variation using the circle skirt, very sleek in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this dress! I'm just learning to sew clothing (mostly by looking at sewing blogs), and I found your blog today. It's encouraging see your progress as another self-taught seamstress, and your style is so fun. :)

    ReplyDelete