Friday 18 February 2011

Finished Object (finally!) - Yellow Pleated Skirt

I have completed my first item in my Colette Patterns Spring Palette Challenge capsule wardrobe, it's a simple pleated yellow skirt, in cotton. I didn't use a pattern, I just made a mark every three inches along my fabric and went from there.


Overall I'm quite pleased with it, in reality it's a much brighter yellow, but the lighting in these photos is terrible, so awful that my knees look purple!


I feel embarrassed about posting this picture because it looks like I'm flashing or showing my underwear, but really this is just an extra skirt with an elastic waistband that I made to make the skirt more opaque and a bit pouffier. 


But I think it also looks nice flattened down a bit.

Now, I had serious trouble with the zipper:


It sticks out like a sore thumb. Its too long and I put it in by hand, I also don't really know how to put a zip into a pleated skirt and make it invisible. If anyone knows if there's a tutorial out there I would be really grateful for a link.


This is a photo of my new top (it goes with my spring palette), I wish I had made it myself. Maybe I'll try to copy it.

And lastly, it is absolutely essential that I end the post like every other blogger that makes a full skirt; with a twirl!


5 comments:

  1. Very spring-like! I'm not sure about zips and pleats but I think it would depend a lot on the pattern of the pleats and I can't quite see what yours are doing at the side of the skirt. I guess the zip has to go at the 'edge' of a pleat or it wouldn't work...I'm going to be thinking about this all day now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its so fun you are participating the colette pattern spring palette! i wanted to participate myself, but i just didn't have enough time...:(

    your skirt looks great, i love the color. yellow was something that i never wore before, just because i thought it matches with my skin color too much, but i began to like lemon yellow color a lot. great job!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this skirt - perfect for spring! And I can't believe you didn't use a pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Katherine,
    I've seen your comment on the CP Forum - thank you! This is a lovely skirt & really doesn't look like you've not used a pattern. Not only is the fabric a gorgeous Spring colour it also looks like it's a really nice quality. Thinking daffoldils here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very cute skirt and such a nice color to look at now that there is still winter outside. I am looking forward to your other creations for the Colette Spring Palette challenge.

    As for you zipper trouble, try this article http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3728/sewing-in-a-zipper
    They have more on their webpage just search for it. Hope that helps :-)

    Marina

    ReplyDelete